WHAT IS THE WRITING CENTER?
- The Writing Center is a place where students can receive direct, focused peer tutoring.
- These trained peer coaches will not write for the student, but rather engage him or her in a conversation about the writing task at hand.
- The goal is to assess areas of greatest need and give the student the best feedback and strategies toward making that piece of writing better.
WHEN IS IT OPEN?
- The Writing Center is open Monday-Thursday, hours 1-8.
- Each hour is staffed by trained peer coaches.
WHERE IS IT LOCATED?
- The Writing Center is located in a room in the southeast corner of the Learning Commons.
HOW WILL STUDENTS USE IT?
- Students will sign up for individual 20 minute coaching sessions during their Collaborative Learning Times.
- Students should feel comfortable bringing any school-related writing assignments to coaching sessions – lab reports, papers, creative pieces, college essays, speeches – assigned in any of their classes.
- Students can use The Writing Center for any stage of the writing process—from topic selection to content to style to editing—and each stage will be handled similarly with assessment and questions that direct the writer towards a better final product.
- For example, peer coaches won’t fix grammar and spelling errors for the student, but they may review problem areas and model some of the corrections.
- Students should always come to the writing center with a focused goal in mind.